Cash, Food and Medical

Q: How do I apply for Cash, Food or Medical benefits?

A: An application must be filed for us to determine if you are eligible for any benefits. You can pick up an application at our agency at 25 E. South Street, Jackson, or call (740) 286-4181 and ask that an application be mailed to you or you can apply online at www.odjfsbenfits.ohio.gov.

Q: What should I do if I have concerns with my case?
A: Contact the Jackson County Call Center at (740) 288-1777. The call center hours of operation are as follows: Monday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Tuesday and Friday 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Wednesday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q: How long does it take to process an application to determine eligibility or a redetermination?

A: It may take up to 30 days to process applications or redeterminations.

Q: How do I report suspected fraud?
A: To report suspected fraud you can call (740) 286-4181 ext 359 and speak to our investigator. You can also provide a written report to the agency at 25 E. South Street or mail it to P. O. Box 1006, Jackson, Ohio 45640.

Q: What are normal business hours for the Jackson County Job & Family Services?
A: Our office lobby is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Wednesday we are open 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. These hours do not apply to our Call Center. Our Call Center operates Monday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Tuesday and Friday 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Wednesday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Q: How do I apply for Unemployment Benefits?
A: To file a new claim you can call 1-877-644-6562 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. TTY is 1-888-642-8203. Or you can file online at http://unemployment.ohio.gov, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.

Q: When should I report changes in my household or employment to my case manager?
A: Changes to your case should be reported within 10 days of the occurrence. Examples of changes that must be reported include, but are not limited to: became employed, lost a job, added or removed a child, moved to a new residence, married or divorced.

Q: How do I report changes in my household or employment to my case manager?
A: You can report any change to our Call Center at (740) 288-1777. If you have an online account, you can report your change at www.odjfsbenefits.ohio.gov.

Q: Are interpretation services available?

A: Yes.

Q: How do I apply for Medicare?
A: Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. A Social Security representative can make an appointment for you at any Social Security office. You can find out more about Social Security and Medicare online at www.ssa.gov.

Q: How do I get a Golden Buckeye Card?
A: On, or after your 60th birthday, you can sign up at various local sites including most senior centers, some libraries, selected banks and at special community events. Call 1-800-422-1976 for a sign up site near your home or office. For additional information on line at www.goldenbuckeye.com

Child Support

Q: How do I apply for Child Support?
A: If you are already living apart, but have not started a legal action to get a divorce or legal separation, you can contact the Child Support Enforcement Agency at 25 E. South Street, Jackson, Ohio or call at (740) 286-4181. This is also how unmarried persons with a child may seek support for the child from the child’s other biological parent. If you have filed for a divorce or legal separation, you will obtain a support order at the time of final hearing.

Q: Who do I call to find out the status of child support and/or spousal support payments?
A: All support checks are issued through the Ohio Child Support Payment Central, P. O. Box 182372, Columbus, Ohio 43218-2372. You may call 1-800-860-2555 to see if a payment has been posted to your account. You can also create an online account and access this information at http://jfs.ohio.gov/Ocs/CustServWebPortalWelcome2.stm.

Q: Why should I go to the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) when I know the non-residential parent can’t pay, or if we’ve already worked out an arrangement between us?
A: Even if a non-residential parent can’t pay now, that could change in the future. If the non-residential parent isn’t working now, the CSEA may be able to get a court order requiring that parent to find a job. Also, the CSEA can help your child’s access to other sources of income like inheritances or lottery winnings.

A mutual agreement for support between the two parents could change at either parents deciding since it is not binding from the CSEA and the court. You want to make sure all future child support is paid in full. And, if the non-residential parent should die, you want to make sure your child has a legal right to support from any estate or is eligible for any social security benefits.

Q: Do I have to keep paying child support of the residential parent won’t let me visit my child?
A: Yes. Child support and visitation are two separate issues. If you stop paying support because you don’t get to visit your child, you will build up an arrearage. You will also be in violation of a support order and could be prosecuted. For help with your visitation rights, contact a private attorney.

Q: Can CSEA help me with visitation or other problems?

A: Your CSEA cannot get involved in matters of visitation or custody. The CSEA also cannot collect divorce property settlements, collect on medical bills, locate missing children, act as your private attorney, or represent you in any way outside its authority.

Children/Adult Services

Q: Where can I obtain information about adoptions?
A: You can obtain information from the Jackson County Job and Family Services at 25 E. South Street, Jackson, Ohio at (740) 286-4181. Please see our adoption page for children that are available for adoption in Jackson County. You can also obtain information from private agencies, state agencies, Ohio Department of Health, Ohio Putative Father Registry.

Q: How old do you have to be to be left alone to watch other children?
A: While there is no law that specifies when a child is old enough to be left alone or to watch other children, there are a few guidelines that may be helpful:
Make sure that when a child is left alone or babysitting, they can reach the parent or another responsible adult at all times, no matter what age they are.
Infants and toddlers need to be monitored at all times.
Ensure that emergency numbers are accessible and that whomever is staying with a child knows that address of where they are.
If there is an incident at the home and the police or Children Services are notified, they have to use discretion and decide whether or not to charge a parent criminally or to act on the circumstances of any given situation.

Q: What are the consequences or making a report about a child you feel is in danger, if the report
is unfounded?

A: There are no consequences when the report is made in good faith.

Q: What are the consequences of making a false report of child abuse or neglect?
A: Just as person who makes a false police report can be charged criminally, a person can be charged for reporting false allegations to Children Services. This is a misdemeanor in the first degree and punishable by fines and jail time.

Q: Can I find out who reported me?
A: While you may feel that you can pinpoint who a reporter may be, the law protects the  confidentially of a reporter. Therefore a Children Services worker cannot reveal, confirm or deny who a reporter of any allegations may be.